Friday, March 30, 2012

Dress code

Well, this will be the last post as I am leaving for Paris tomorrow - can%26#39;t wait! Being a first timer I am interested to know how %26quot;dressy%26quot; Paris is by evening. What should I pack? Any comments greatly appreciated x




|||



Wear the same thing you would at home when dressing for the evening.





And please post again.




|||



Paris is not dressy at all for normal people. You can go to just about any restaurant (or theatre or the opera) wearing clean jeans.





During the day, anything goes:





How to look like a tourist: http://tinyurl.com/qo9v8a





How to look like a local:



http://tinyurl.com/d36vxo



http://tinyurl.com/mfbycy




|||



got any links to pictures for winter? we%26#39;re going in march. :)




|||



Ha! I haven%26#39;t done winter yet, but I plan to!




|||



Hi -





I take black slacks and one long black skirt. My tops are all white except for the black tee I wear on the plane, and I have a black cashmere cardigan and a large red wool shawl for the evenings and heavy air conditioning. Those things and a pair of black leather shoes (don%26#39;t get carried away with heels - the cobblestones will kill both them and your ankles) will get you through almost anything. I take one smart top and I%26#39;m ready.





Bon voyage




|||



Unless you%26#39;re planning to go to very established, high-end restaurants (e.g. Taillevent), %26quot;smart casual%26quot; will be appropriate just about anywhere. I mostly wear dark-wash or black jeans and feel appropriately dressed in all situations. The most important thing is to bring shoes that are comfortable to walk in for hours at a time.




|||



1BCTraveller had it right. Pick a base color (black, brown, grey) and bring a couple of versatile basics in that color. One or two pair of slacks, a skirt etc. Then white shirts which go with everything. A sweater, a jacket and you%26#39;re good to go ANYWHERE.





Btw, I%26#39;ve decided that Paris is sick of seeing me in black. This trip I%26#39;m going with brown. Ah, life on the edge :)




|||



Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!




|||



I%26#39;m bringing a simple but elegant basic black jersey dress, i can dress up or down with heels or sandals, we won%26#39;t be dining in high end restaurats, will this be too dressy for an average restaurant or brasserie, or should i stick with dressy jeans or black slacks?




|||



I think it really depends on what you%26#39;d normally wear and feel comfortable in. I%26#39;m not a %26quot;dress person%26quot; (has to be a very special occasion) so I%26#39;d tend to feel overdressed wearing a dress as you%26#39;ve described to a cafe or brasserie. On the other hand, if this is something you%26#39;d throw on to go to a movie and casual dinner afterward, then go for it. People in Paris really don%26#39;t dress up any more than you%26#39;d see in any US city.

No comments:

Post a Comment