Friday, March 30, 2012

Barge Canal Cruising v River cruising

We enjoyed a wonderful river cruise along the Danube in 2007 with Avalon Waterways and would now like to do a river cruise in France. Friends have suggested a barge rather than a cruise ship but I am concerned about the size of the cabins and missing out seeing the scenery passing by from a large window in the cabin. Is there anyone out there who has experienced both and can convince me that barging is better than being on a ship? All suggestions and cooments for or against welcomed. We are planning to go in May 2010. Two senior couples.




|||



Hi memsahib



I%26#39;ve spent a bit of time on the rivers and canals of France and holidayed in France six times in the past 8 years for 2-3 months at a time. I have to say that I have not seen a waterway that was suitable for a cruise %26quot;ship%26quot;, the likes of those that ply the Danube. There are some Eurpoean cruises that include Paris in the itinerary, but they transfer to coach at Trier.



It may well be something I have missed and I would be interested to hear of any such cruise.



The %26quot;hotel barges%26quot; that travel on the French waterways have small portholes in the cabins, but as they only carry 10-20 people max (and most less than that), you would spend most of your days sitting on chairs on deck while underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment