Friday, March 30, 2012

Identification/passport at all times?

Just visited another forum in which someone asked if it is necessary to keep passport on person at all times when in Paris for ID purposes, or if a copy of such will suffice? I thought that I had read in a previous post that carrying a copy of passport was sufficient. Can anyone address this issue?




|||



Legally, a copy is not sufficient, but many many travelers carry only a copy and 99%* of them have never needed a reason to produce the real thing. Just don%26#39;t get arrested or mingle where you don%26#39;t belong (ie. signs of unrest, strikes, etc). and don%26#39;t forget to retrieve your real Passport before you depart your hotel or apartment!





* disclaimer: this %26#39;statistic%26#39; is for illustration only





** we always keep ours with us in a security pouch under clothing




|||



Thanks for your reply--as we are travelling for pleasure in a couple of weeks, can I assume that we do not need the passport while in Paris if we are only sightseeing, dining, etc.,? Our plan was to leave the passports in hotel safe at check-in (front desk) and only carry copies. I assume we do not need original passport to enter museums, etc. Can anyone clarify?




|||



I was in Paris this past January %26amp; didn%26#39;t carry my passport. I just left it at the hotel.





As far the museums, I have no reason to believe you would need your passport for that. Then again, I bought the Museum Pass so I never stood in line to buy tickets or anything.




|||



Thank you--any other replies?




|||





By the letter of the law you DO need to have your passport with you at all times. But are you likely yo run afoul of the law? Most likely not.





So do what you are most comfortable with.





If you have a child with you who is under 18 and therefore allowed to enter free, it is possible a museum might want a passport for proof of age.





Rob




|||



The Louvre will ask for your passport for a security deposit when you rent an audio guide,, I personally would never give it to them,, they just throw it in an open file box on the desk ,, I give them my British Columbia Drivers Licence and they have never refused it .. I don%26#39;t carry PP for sightseeing, I leave it in safe and have never needed it myself.




|||



My 14 yr old was never asked for id at museums,, but, he looked young ,, not like some kids that can pass for much older. I would carry their picture student id if they looked close to 18.




|||



The risk of loss/theft of your passport while carrying it around Paris outweighs the chance of you being asked to produce it by authorities.





My suggestion would be to carry around an official piece of ID (driver%26#39;s license) and a photocopy of your passport.





Also, on the back of the photocopy, write down any essential info (hotel name, emergency contact info, pertinent medical info) in case an unfortunate incident should occur where you are unable to communicate such important information to those trying to assist you.




|||



No student/child travelling with us. Thanks for the replies-likely we will just carry copies as we plan to only sightsee and eat w/o leaving Paris. No day trips planned. Thanks again!




|||



What Joan mentioned about audio guides happened to us as well, so do bring along some other photo ID if you plan to rent an audio guide at any of the museums.





I was also asked to show my passport at Zara on the Champs Elysees when I purchased something with my credit card. It wasn%26#39;t a lot of money, so I was pretty surprised by the request. I wondered if it was because I didn%26#39;t have a chip %26amp; pin type of credit card. If memory serves (and it doesn%26#39;t always) the store clerk pointed to a written policy about requiring a passport when purchasing with a credit card (I assume it was for travellers only). I didn%26#39;t have to show my passport at any other store in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment