Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Staying in Lorgues, near Frejus.

Hi there, my girlfriend and I are staying in Lorgues for a week in mid August. I%26#39;ve stayed in the region before and have driven to Les Grand Canyon du Verdon before for the day and also driven over the border to Ventimiglia for a day trip too...





I%26#39;m definitely going to do these trips again as they were stunning but I%26#39;d like to know if there are any other day trips from Lorgues we should look at. We%26#39;ve got a car and I like to drive so driving for an hour or two each way won%26#39;t bother me at all.





My girlfriend speaks fluent French (she works for Gaz De France) so going into the darkest depths of the countryside won%26#39;t bother us as she can do the talking, my French is a bit rusty!!





We love food, wine, architecture, nature and history and are in our early to mid 30s.





Any help would be gratefully received. I hope I%26#39;ve posted this in the right forum, I know Lorgues is in Var province, but couldn%26#39;t find that forum!!




|||



Anyone please??





Thanks in advance.




|||



Hi,





Lorgues is a smaller village surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. Perfect spot to get to know the Provence Verte region: it%26#39;s slower than the coastal side of the French Riviera, and full of lovely villages each with its own character.





The must-sees close by include: Le Thoronet abbey, a visit to the villages of Cotignac, Sillans-la-Cascade mostly for its delicious outdoors restaurant and its waterfall, Tourtour, Correns if you%26#39;re curious about a village that%26#39;s gone entirely organic in its agriculture, the La Celle abbey and the Wine Center next door where you can learn about and sip local wines.





Lesser-known are the Maures Mountains, just behind famed St Tropez. Roads may be busy still in late August (%26amp; they%26#39;re windy in the Maures Mnts so go slow) but it sounds like you would enjoy a visit to the magical Chartreuse de la Verne charterhouse and to nearby Collobrieres village. If you have time, take a hike around the monastery at La Verne to soak in the sight.





Enjoy!



AzurAlive.com




|||



Thanks Azuralive, you%26#39;ve given me some great ideas to research!! I%26#39;ve had a very quick look online and they look beautiful spots to explore!!





Could you tell me the name of the restaurant in Silans la Cascade? I%26#39;ve got a funny feeling that I might be driving there for a spot of lunch and a few glasses of local wine and my girlfriend can do the driving back!!





I know how steep and windy the roads are, I drove to Verdun Canyon and that was an experience in itself!! A little bit different to driving around the country roads in Devon!!





Cheers!!




|||



Sillans-la-Cascade is a very small village; it has just 2 main restaurants: the Hotel-Restaurant Les Pins (closed on Mondays) and La Cascade next to it. There%26#39;s also a Les Grands Chênes resto a little further down outside of town.





The most reputed one is Restaurant Les Pins. If you go, reserve your table - with their fine local dishes, this spot is no longer a secret. Their phone: 04.94.04.63.26. The La Cascade restaurant right next to it is also good. I haven%26#39;t confirmed this, but I think Les Pins has bought them.





Try the short (2 km or so round-trip) %26amp; fun hike to the waterfall to help with that Rosé bottle :). It begins almost right in front of the restaurant and is reasonably marked.





Have a great time.





AzurAlive.com




|||



Salut!





My mate owns a villa in Lorgues and it%26#39;s only half a mile from a great vineyard, it%26#39;s called Domaine de l%26#39;Estello and we stock up on the rosé there, it%26#39;s absolutely lovely!!





I%26#39;ll give the restaurant a call to reserve a table when we%26#39;re there, thanks again!





I%26#39;ll also have a look at your website!




|||



We%26#39;ve just returned from Lorgues and we%26#39;re as brown as a very brown thing!!





The weather was fabulous and can I just say that your recommendation for Les Pins in Sillans la Cascade was absolutely spot on!! It was one of the finest meals I%26#39;ve ever had in my life!!





We booked a table and ate there last night, the Chateubriand was sensational but the star of the show was the Pot-au-feu des mers au pistou et safran... WOW!!!





All washed down with a couple of bottles of local rose!





Thanks so much from us both!!




|||



I%26#39;m very glad you enjoyed it!





A chilled rosé (or two) always feels right in this region, especially with this heat wave we%26#39;re having...





Take care,



AzurAlive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment