Friday, March 23, 2012

Enough time to transfer between Gare du Nord and St Lazare?



Dear all, I%26#39;m taking the Eurostar for the first time--my train gets in to Paris, Gare du Nord, at 1.47pm. I%26#39;m wondering whether it%26#39;s safe for me to book a journey to Caen leaving at 2.45pm. It seems tight to me--what do you think?





Thanks.



Stephanie




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. At this time, posts on the TripAdvisor forums cannot be edited, but the author of a post may request that it be removed. This allows the author to repost the message if desired.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 18, 2009


|||



Well from the Eurostar platform to the RER line E platform, it takes at least 6 to 8 mins if you know where to go. They are totally opposite. On the way, you need to buy your ticket, another 3 to 5 minutes. A few minutes on the platform for next train. 4 to 5 minutes between the 2 stations. Then 6 to 8 minutes to go from RER platform to St Lazare %26quot;grandes lignes%26quot; platform and identify the right platform.





The underground of St Lazare station is not my favorite in terms of signage.





For me it is just too short and you won%26#39;t make it. Especially if the train is late, even 5 or 10 minutes.





For someone who%26#39;s used to do it like me, I would give a chance. For someone who does not speak the language and does not know where to go, too risky.




|||



Oops Sorry I mixed up Austerlitz and St Lazare. If someone would like to erase my earlier post i%26#39;ll be greatful.





One hour for one RER station, you think it%26#39;s not enough...? Well, being Parisian I might not be objective enough. It sure sounds like a 20mn thing to me - 30 with not-too-heavy luggages.





I agree that having to commute with the RER E makes things trickier.





Feel free to take a later train to Caen, but if you manage to get everything right on the first try - which is a possibility, we%26#39;re not talking Japanese game show extreme labyrinth here - you mind end up waiting a long time on the platform.





Something comes to mind - if you manage to have a few euro coins with you, 1.60€/person or more, you can buy your RER tickets from the vending machines (in English). Just go for regular, full price metro tickets. What the machines call %26quot;RER tickets%26quot; is for people who need to go outside Paris. Inside Paris RER is considered like regular metro.





I think this can save you some time.




|||



Sabrina,



Two months ago I arrived on the eurostar @ Gare Nord and I had 1 1/2 hours to transfer to Gare Austerlitz and did it in 40 mins. The Metro was 20 mins but the transfer at Austerlitz was very easy, Gare Lazare metro station is a maze, just changing metro%26#39;s there can take 15 mins.



If you are travelling light, go for it, but if you are lugging suitcases, forget it.



Also as Doc mentioned, have a 2 euro coin for the ticket machine, your american credit cards will not work.




|||



Frank, do you mean St Lazare? You said Austerlitz. (I%26#39;m trying to transfer between Nord and St Lazare).





Thanks.



Stephanie




|||



The detail that makes it a quite tight connection is the fact that you have to check in for the Eurostar 30 minutes before departure (but I%26#39;m sure they are just slightly flexible).





Otherwise, the RER E will indeed whisk you directly from St Lazare to Gare du Nord in about 6 minutes. All the rest of the walking is a case of being good at reading signs and not wasting time. I have noticed that some people can figure out a sign in less than 5 seconds and others stand in front of it for a full 2 minutes.





If you are a 2-minute person, you are in trouble.




|||



I%26#39;ll be okay in that respect, since I am going from Eurostar to Corail. (So I don%26#39;t need to check in for Eurostar within the hour I have.)





So it sounds like people think I can do this, so long as I don%26#39;t dillydally.




|||



I know you are going to St. Lazare, I was making a comparison!!



I pointed out that St. Lazare metro is a maze!

No comments:

Post a Comment