Thursday, April 19, 2012

Train Booking from Paris to Venice

A question has come up as I try to get familiar with using the French site to book a 2 person sleeper for my wife and I. I get to the point where I select the type of sleeper and I go for the double sleeper; the details show a car number and then a seat number, but the seat numbers are NOT consecutive. My last practice try, seats came up 21 and 25. Is this something I should be concerned about? Don%26#39;t want to go through and purchase a non-refundable ticket to find that we%26#39;re not booked into the same compartment. Couldn%26#39;t finds anything on the Artesia web site about the number systems for the 2 person sleepers.





Perhaps a fellow TA reader has taken this train and can put my mind at ease about the numbering system. I could book thru RailEurope and have some guarantee that the seat/berth assignments were correct, but then I%26#39;d probably pay several hundred US$ more.





Appreciate the advice so these kinds of small details don;t end up detracting from what we hope will be a very special trip which will include 5 full days in Paris. Already booked Hotel des Grand Hommes based on TA reviews and picked up lots of great advice about dinning and site seeing from other postings. Thanks to all.




|||



Have a look at the explanation on http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#The night trains from Paris to Italy ... with the link to the berth numbering plan. This explains that the sleepers all have 3 berths, with numbers, but when the cabin is booked for 2 only, one of the berths is not used, so the sequence looks odd.




|||



hmm, the link broke - it%26#39;s %26quot;What%26#39;s it like on board the Paris-Italy sleeper trains?%26quot;




|||



My wife and I are definitely interested in the 2 person rather than 3 person sleeper compartment. That%26#39;s what I want to book and that%26#39;s why I get concerned and confused when non-consecutive numbers come up.





I%26#39;ll try to find the section you mention on seat61.com. I%26#39;ve been going over his advice on booking French trains from the US but wasn%26#39;t aware he had details of the train set up.





Thanks for the help.




|||



Hi





My husband and I have recently travelled on the Artesia from Paris to Italy and we had the same seat numbers as you have been offered - 21 and 25. Diz is right, the coach can accomodate three people (hence the missing number 23!).




|||



It was the same for us. Our seat numbers were 11 and 15 and I was concerned. But it is as the others have said. Even though it%26#39;s a double cabin, there may be a middle bunk that can come down (it%26#39;s behind the wall so we didn%26#39;t see it or try to pull it down to confirm).





No one else will be booked in your room with you, if you are selecting double first class.




|||



Thank you all! By gosh I%26#39;ve got it!





seat61.com actually has a picture of a sleeper coach layout with the numbers. Pictures really help.





What finally makes it clear is understanding that the 2 person and 3 person compartments are the same; the difference is that if you book (and pay the price for) a %26quot;double%26quot; the third bunk is not sold and remains unused.





Looking forward to booking on my own exactly 90 days in advance on the French site and saving quite a bit of money; I%26#39;ll also be able to be confident that I%26#39;m not messing up when I make that non-refundable puirchase.





TA has been (and will be) a great help on this and other trips. Thanks. Hope to pass it along with a report of %26quot;finds%26quot; when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment