Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Amboise or Chenonceau

I had originally planned to visit Chenonceau this coming Tuesday. But now I have seen pictures of Amboise I am not so sure!





I had to get back to Tours by 17 ish to catch TGV train back to Paris. Both are possible via trains. But after looking at the forums here it seems doing both is a bit awkward via public transport - which is the only possibility for us. So it%26#39;s one or the other! I was tossing up a mini-bus tour but they are too rushed and finishes at 1:30. We want to avoid this as we are already doing one the day before. And these are the two not covered.





So which one would you choose? I know this is quite a subjective question here. But any suggestions or comments we would be grateful!




|||





If you can only go to one, go to Chenonceaux. It%26#39;s an amazing place spanning the river Cher. Interesting gardens too.





Unlike some others I actually quite like Amboise and the view over the Loire. But if it%26#39;s a wonderful chateau you want... it has to be Chenonceaux.





Rob




|||



Château Amboise was 80% destroyed during the Revolution with additional damage as result of WWII battles. There have been several restoration and preservation efforts to keep and maintain what little that is left but I consider present day Amboise a %26quot;sub tier%26quot; destination when one considers what other architectural gems remain nearby.





Chenonceau is indeed one of those precious stones of the collection of remaining properties of the Loire Valley. Virtually untouched by the unhappy mobs of the Revolution, this is considered by many as the premier example of royal living of centuries long past (Chambord is my personal favorite). To have visited the Loire Valley and to have missed Chenonceau is analogous to visiting Paris and never seeing the Eiffel tower.




|||



sounds like Chenonceau is the one! Thanks for everyone%26#39;s inputs.




|||



If you are just considering the chateaux, then it has to be Chenonceaux for its majestic arches across the Cher River.





However, Amboise has more to offer in that the chateau is in the middle of the town, and you can go right to the top of the chateau, with its fantastic views down onto the town and the Loire river. There is also Clos Lucie, where Leonardo Da Vinci lived his last years, and the Chapel St Hubert where he is buried.




|||



The mini-bus tour I did today went past Amboise. It%26#39;s one of the three we get to %26quot;view%26quot;. I took some photos etc from across the river.





I think I will go with Chinonceau. Having done the tour today, I prefer the stunningly beautiful ones from the outside. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment