Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Twin comforters

I%26#39;ve been looking for toile twin comforters here and haven%26#39;t had any luck, so I%26#39;ll be looking in Paris during my upcoming stay. Is the size of a twin comforter in France the same as in the US?





Thanks in advance




|||



Parisians buy theirs at Ikea. You could check the Ikea website for sizes.




|||



There are two types of bedcoverings here --





There%26#39;s a comforter (a couette here), which is thick and puffy and is filled with polyfill, down, or some combination. Those are white, and are then buttoned into a cotton cover (housse de couette) which has the colors, patterns, etc.





You%26#39;ll see these sold as duvet covers in the States.





Then there%26#39;s a bedcovering -- what we call just a bedspread.





There really isn%26#39;t any such thing here as a patterned polyfill bedspread, which is what I think you%26#39;re referring to.





And yes, I bought my comforters at Ikea....




|||



The twin sizes may be a bit different here. Measure an old twin comforter in centimeters before you leave, and that will help you find the right French size. I believe that you will have different size choices in the length of the comforter.





BHV at the métro station Hotel de Ville on line #1 would be a good place to shop in Paris. You would have to go out of Paris to shop IKEA.




|||



The OP can shop IKEA in Atlanta -- the merchandise appears to be nearly the same worldwide.





If anybody had them, it would be BHV, but I wouldn%26#39;t get my hopes up too high.




|||



On the academic end of things, however, I have put US twin-sized sheets on European beds many, many times -- they%26#39;re not exactly the same size, but they%26#39;re close enough that it works with no problems at all.




|||



And I will repeat that the Ikea site for any country will have have exact European measurements.




|||



I%26#39;m putting BHV on my list. We do have an IKEA in Atlanta and her beds currently have IKEA duvets on them. Any suggestions on how to translate the French IKEA site into English? The English link on the site seems to translate that page. Would the UK%26#39;s twins be the same as one purchased in France?





I guess I should ask if there would be any chance that Paris would have more toile availability than here. It seems that trend has passed here except for kids and I don%26#39;t want pink for her room.




|||



Not much toile -- you can find it, to be sure, but I wouldn%26#39;t call it common. It seems to be relegated to places that grandmothers shop, because the younger generations go for brighter colors and geometric prints, to a large degree. (Not absolute, of course -- but that%26#39;s most of what I see.)





I found these online:





www.home-decorating-co.com/toile-bedding.html





http://toilebeddingandlinens.com/





jcpenney.com/products/aq/red-toile-comforter…

No comments:

Post a Comment