Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Corail Lunéa: General comfort, first vs. second class?

I was looking into taking a Corail Lunéa train from Paris to Nice, as it would get my girlfriend and I to our destination with more time to spare than a morning flight (and spare us the hassle of getting to the airport). I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had sleeping on the couchettes, and if there%26#39;s much of a difference between first and second class.





The second half of this YouTube video shows the Paris to Nice train, but I can%26#39;t really see the difference between the two compartments. With the money we%26#39;d save on a hotel that night, it wouldn%26#39;t be too bad to go for a night train, but obviously I wouldn%26#39;t mind saving some money if the difference isn%26#39;t noticeable.





www.youtube.com/watch…






|||



It has been years since I a took an overnight train somewhere but your question might be easily answered when you book (Lunéa trains do require reservations) and see the price differences.





The earlier you book (up to 90 days before travel) the more you can save:





www.voyages-sncf.com (in French only)



www.tgv-europe.com (select either Canada or GB as your country avoiding the more expensive Eurorail prices)




|||



At the moment the price difference is around 20eu a ticket, which I think might be worth it now that I%26#39;ve found the big difference: the second-class compartments have six beds, so two columns stacked three high. I don%26#39;t know if the beds are any more or less comfortable , but it might be worth it just to have a little more room in the compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment