Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dying of thirst on the Champs Elysées

I don%26#39;t know if any guide book has ever bothered to do this, but I took my notepad and camera and wrote down the price charged for a cola at every single establishment on the Champs Elysées.





Yes, I can hear a lot of you thinking %26quot;Who cares? I don%26#39;t drink cola!%26quot; But I chose cola, because it is possibly the only product that is sold in every single place, while they all sell different wines, different brands of bottled water, different beers, etc.





I think the cola prices can give you a pretty good idea of how the prices will run for the other items available.





Here is my report: http://tinyurl.com/q7uzqo




|||



Outstanding. Simply outstanding.




|||



bump




|||



Interesting idea. Apparently you had some extra time kerouac. This quick survey illustrates two points:





1. Results correlate with the fact that current real estate/rental prices are much higher on the south side of the Champs Elysées than they are on the north side.





2. Savvy tourists watching their euros drink colas elsewhere.




|||



Thanks for your service!!



Can we non-cola drinkers then extrapolate that those %26quot;stores%26quot; selling colas at inflated prices also gouge on other items as well?




|||



I don%26#39;t drink cola but found your photos and information fantastic. What a fun idea.




|||



I love your posts/pictures. Almost like a guided tour. Proves: buyer beware, even for a cola




|||



8 euros for a soda. So glad I am of age and mind to drink wine while in Paris. Or better yet, tap water.




|||



You%26#39;ve outdone youself this time. Thanks we really enjoyed this.




|||



I wish I had the time to spare doing something like that.




|||



Very good research Kerouac2.





We are teetotal, so wine is not an option for us. This does cause a problem as soft drinks,tea and coffee are so expensive and not just in the main tourist areas.





We go fed up of paying 4-6euros for soft drinks or a teabag and a cup of hot water,(that you couldn%26#39;t really brew properly, so it became a race to get the teabag in the pot before the water cooled down too much LOL!) or a mediocre cup of coffee.





Eventually we decided we would only go to high end hotels, and pay around 8 euros,( but at least you got proper drinks and service,) or we would go to McDonalds where you get a teabag and a cup of hot water but at least you only pay 1.10 euros. McDonalds is much maligned and I don%26#39;t like the food but often you can sit out and people watch as well. They vary a lot in how nice they are.





Unfortunatly the Champs Elysees McDonalds is overcrowded and untidy, in my experience.





Amazingly one of the most economical cup of real coffee I had was at CAPUCINE. 39 Boulevard des Capucines in tourist central near the perfume museum. I had a grande cafe au lait for 2.80euros. The waitress was pretty friendly also and served me with a smile.





Denise



Love from England

No comments:

Post a Comment