Thursday, April 12, 2012

Advice please - Blois, Chenonceau or Chambord

Visiting the Loire Valley for a day trip from Carrieres sur Seine, north of Paris. Have a car. These are the three places I%26#39;d most like to visit.





1) Is it possible to visit all three in one day? 2 hours each or something along those lines...





2) If I have to cut one out, which one would you recommend I drop? I am especially interested in history, especially the time of Louis XII and Francis I.





I leave Monday, 24 Aug, so appreciate your help finalizing plans!






|||





It will be a rush but certainly you can do all 3.





I%26#39;d go Chambord %26gt; Chenonceaux %26gt; Blois



as I think the first 2 a the jewels in the Loire crown.





Three chateaux in a day is pushing it but if you only have the one day... go for it! We had only 1 day last year and managed Chambord, Amboise and Chenonceaux. But we started in Beaugency and not the 2 hours away you%26#39;ll start from.





As always when visiting sites in France, leave early so you arrive at your choice of the first chateau at opening time.





Try playing with driving routes at viamichelin.com or maps.google.com





Bonne chance!





Rob




|||



Blois and Chambord only is a more practical idea.





You don%26#39;t say when you%26#39;re actually doing this trip - if you%26#39;re travelling in August you must remember the roads are full of campervans, tractors, tourist buses and fat blokes on bicycles, all of which will make getting from one place to another along the local roads quite a slow process.





Google maps gives Chambord to Chenonceaux as just over 1 hour, in August I would allow at least 90 minutes for this trip - and the last weekend in August I would leave the car in the garage and watch TV.





Simon



http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/




|||



I would go with the previous suggestion of Chambord %26gt; Chenonceaux %26gt; Blois, as I also agree that the first two are the jewels in the Loire crown.





This means that if time becomes tight you can cut short Blois.




|||



Thanks for the input. Left out dates, sorry. Will probably be there 1 or 2 Sept.

No comments:

Post a Comment