Monday, April 16, 2012

Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Hello, I know I should not drive a car in Paris( I have already got lots of replies about it) Now, my boyfriend insists that he would like to rent a scooter and drive around together. Is it possible to rent a sccoter in Paris?. If so, how much is it? and is it easy to drive around by scooters?How about parking for a scooter?




|||



A death wish , ?? LOL.



Lila , why not appease your boyfriend by telling him you can look into rental of a scooter once in Paris, then, once in Paris perhaps after a day or two he would see what a pain it would be. There still are all those one way streets, maniac drivers and parking problems with a scooter as with a car, but, gas would be cheaper!




|||



Wow Joan1, not only excellent advice but strategy as well.




|||



Has your boyfriend not read the replies to your previous question?



Does he(or you) own and drive around on a scooter in Toronto where you are accustomed to the traffic? I think it is a worse idea than renting a car as, in addition to all the problems driving a car would present, the consequences of any accident are likely to be much more serious if you are on a scooter. Plus if you are unused to riding a scooter Paris is obviously not the best place to learn.




|||



Sarastro - Yes Joan put it really well. I%26#39;m not quite so subtle I%26#39;m afraid.




|||



%26gt;%26gt; but, gas would be cheaper! %26lt;%26lt;





Mix is more expensive than gasoline ...







Lila, no, you won%26#39;t want to rent a scooter in Paris. Rent a bike if you wish - Paris on a bike is not dangerous, I%26#39;ve practiced it for many years, and I enjoy very much the Place de la Concorde on my bike, although I bet it would scare the death out of you- but you will find upon lading that driving in France has nothing to do with driving in Northern America.





Besides, I doubt that you will find a suitable a rental company for your needs.




|||



It looks as though europcar will rent the things http://www.europcar.fr/tourisme/scooter.html - they specifically mention foreign residents in their terms and conditions. There is a minimum age limit and licence requirement - can someone explain %26#39; un permis de conduire réglementaire%26#39; - is this different from an ordinary driving licence?



I%26#39;m posting this link in the interests of full information only - riding a rental scooter round Paris really doesn%26#39;t seem compatible with an enjoyable holiday ....




|||



I think that un permis de conduire réglementaire might be the same as the UK%26#39;s CBT





I think it%26#39;s a condition of hire, rather than a licencing issue.



Lila - google it.scooter hire Paris will get you just under a million results




|||



Riding as a passenger in a taxi is scary enough. I would NEVER EVER put myself behind the steering wheel of a car or worse: on a scooter in Paris.



I think it is one of those things you have to have been doing all your life as an in-born Parisian in order to survive it unscathed - both mentally and physically.



What kind of a trip would it be for you to sit behind your (I assume) Paris-inexperienced boyfriend - being sick with fright.





100:1 you will be at each other%26#39;s throats after 2 days - mutually blaming each other for reckless driving / being hysterical.....




|||



Lila --





Do not allow him to ruin your vacation.





I agree with other posters - I would never ride on scooter either - Your boy friend sounds like one of those guys who will take his beginner girl-friend on a double black ski run just to prove how good he is --





I can%26#39;t imagine anything more terrifying than going through Parisian traffic without having any control over the vehicle and with no more protection than a helmet.





Let him get the scooter, then you take a taxi - and be waiting for him at your destination after he has finally found a place to park - and I%26#39;m assuming here that he isn%26#39;t going to end up in an accident in the first 20 minutes on the thing - that%26#39;s a pretty big assumption.





Hold your ground - it%26#39;s your holiday too.




|||



Instead of trying to rent some form of vehicle, why don%26#39;t you spend that money on a driver and car for a set number of hours or a day or two. We had friends that just returned and they had a car/driver for 3 hours a day for the 3 days they were there. They did their shopping, sight seeing etc without the hassle of parking/driving and so on. And you get to set the itinerary.

No comments:

Post a Comment