Monday, April 16, 2012

GH Leveque vs Hotel Muguet? (or another left bank hotel)

I decided to stay on the left bank for my next trip. Which hotel is better and why? Leveque is cheaper which is a plus but the bathroom is shared. But I%26#39;ve hosteled so it wouldn%26#39;t be horrible (then again, I could pay less at a hostel if I%26#39;m gonig to share). Muguet has good reviews and the only negative I%26#39;m hearing about is the manager with the strict no food policy.





Are there any other gems on the Left Bank that I%26#39;m overlooking?





Thanks!




|||



Hotel Muguet is much nicer than Grand Hotel Leveque. It%26#39;s true that Mme Pelletier, owner of Hotel Muguet, is all business and runs a tight ship, but she continuously improves the hotel and it sparkles! It%26#39;s also on a quiet street.





Only the single rooms at Grand Hotel Leveque have shared baths. Some people enjoy staying right on rue Cler. Others find it noisy and complain of the %26quot;aroma%26quot; of the nearby cheese shop (and dumpster behind).





When I travel solo, I always book a double room rather than a single, as singles tend to be really small and not as nice. A friend of mine who stayed in a single at Hotel Muguet complained that it was too cramped.





You might also want to have a look at Hotel Eiffel Park. They often have bargain rates for advance bookings and longer stays on their website. I got a terrific deal a couple of years ago for a solo trip.




|||



we once stayed at the Leveque and it was one of our most unpleasant hotel experiences ever -- a poorly run dump





haven%26#39;t stayed at the Muquet but there is another thread which suggests it is like being in a strict girls boarding school i.e. no drinks in the room etc -- who wants that on a vacation? They are renting me a room; they are not my mother.





have you looked at Champs du Mars? other hotels in the area




|||



I agree with Grace. The GH Leveque looks pretty shabby to me. The Champs Du Mars looks nice. I%26#39;ve never been able to get a booking there. It fills up early. There are two hotels near the metro One is The Splendid, the other is Best Western Derby. They both look really nice.





There are lots of well priced hotels in the latin(5th) quarter. I%26#39;m staying there for my next trip.




|||



Both Hotel Grand Leveque and Hotel du Champs de Mars are very popular due to Rick Steves, and their low rates.





I visited a friend at Hotel du Champs de Mars. The decor is not nearly as %26quot;fresh%26quot; as in the photos and the rooms are the coziest I%26#39;ve seen. And, if M. %26amp; Mme. Gourdal still own this hotel, Mme. Pelletier is a dream by comparison. There was also road construction going on right in front of the hotel with pneumatic drills (which may be gone by now) that was not mentioned when booking, so my friend was quite distressed by that.




|||



There are SO many Left Bank hotels that I don%26#39;t see how you are limited to these 2 choices--for which the negative comments seem to be adding up. Maybe you should indicate a budget and some specifics and get a few additional recommendations.





I%26#39;ve stayed at Hotel du Champs du Mars and it was nice enough. But aside form the restaurant across the street, the area can get pretty dead at night once you wander off a bit. I don%26#39;t like that. And if you are an %26quot;early to bed%26quot; type, then it%26#39;s way too noisy.





So let us know your preferences for activities/hours, and your budget, and I bet you%26#39;ll get some good suggestions to check out.




|||



I stayed at the Hotel Muguet and had a wonderful experience. The hotel is exceptionally clean and is furnished nicely and up to date. The food policy did not cause any inconvenience to me at all since I was rarely in my room except to sleep. Personally I don%26#39;t enjoy eating in a room that does not have a table and chairs, but that is my personal experience. There is a nice courtyard area that I believe you are permitted to use. I would stay there again.




|||



More specific info: I wanted to try something on the LB for 100E or less. Just a solo room. I don%26#39;t need anything fancy, but it must be clean, in a nice neighborhood and have wifi (preferably in the rooms). I keep wanting to try Hotel Saint Pierre but it fills up rather quickly!




|||



My husband and I stayed at Hotel Muguet in May 2008 and we are again booked to stay there next month for a couple of nights. Our stay last year was lovely--great room, albeit small but very clean and comfortable. The area was quiet and residential. It was close to Eiffel Tour (great to watch it light up at night and then an easy walk back to the hotel) as well as Rue Cler for some good, fairly inexpensive meals. We found the manager pleasant to deal with and the no food/drink in the room was not an issue for us as we are mainly using the room for a good night%26#39;s sleep as for our waking hours we want to be out and about in beautiful Paris. Good Luck with your seach and have a great time in Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment