Thursday, April 19, 2012

Going back after 25 years

I was just informed that myself and another family member have earned a vacation to Paris this coming Christmas. Now I am well versed with travel in the US but have NO idea about Europe. Anyhow one thing I have found it that the hotel rooms only have %26quot;single%26quot; beds like Queen size not two doubles, how do I discern the types of beds in a hotel room and do they ever have two beds? Also is London feasible with a 5 day stay using the train tunnel that they have built. I went to Paris when I was 15 but of course that was planned by someone else and the world has changed a lot in 25 years. Thanks for your help




|||



Well, five days ,, I would stay in Paris, the first day or two you are jet lagged, so unless you are the type that likes to go, go , go , go like crazy( some people are) then its best to stay put. If you do decide you do really want to include London it is easy enought. You can book the Eurostar on Eurostar.com,, but not yet, 3 months out . It can be quite cheap , a return Paris /London for 50 -75 euros depending on many factors. Booking last minute is very expensive though.





In Paris, a %26quot;double %26quot; room is usaully a room with ONE bed, a %26quot;double size%26quot; bed. A %26quot;twin%26quot; is a room with two single beds. Sometimes the beds are pushed together ( especially in smaller cheap hotels where rooms can be VERY small). Most doubles are double beds, not queens. If you want a queen you have to be sure to ask the measurement of the bed. Of course if you are staying in one of the luxury hotels they have queens, but those rooms can be 500 euros or more a night. There are likely a few moderate queens out there though, so ask around.





I have not seen double rooms with two double beds in them as that would book as a quad which I have not needed. Triples and quads are harder to find.




|||



Yes, you need to ask the specific size of the bed. Many if not most have only one double bed. We have run into that problem with the reservations we are making in France and Ireland. We have decided not to reserve at many places we would have liked to because they do not have at least queen beds. When we can find twin rooms in these instances we reserve those but for some reason some of the hotels seem to not have twin rooms available. In that case we just don%26#39;t reserve with that particular hotel.








|||



I had another idea, how about renting a furnished apartment instead of a hotel room, does anyone know of good sites to go to for short term rental properties?



Also if we fly out of Atlanta GA USA on a Sunday and then return to Atlanta GA USA the next Friday is that enough time to see a bit of Paris and get over to London on the train for at least a day?




|||



Okay so since my first post I have booked Paris hotel and we are departing Paris on Decembr 26th. So my question is what do we do with ourselves on Christmas Day, is there anything open or special celebrations?




|||



The department store windows are a must see. There is nothing official for this christmas yet - nothing I could find, anyway - except the Fééries d%26#39;Auteuil in the 16th district





…parisinfo.com/show-exhibition/1146921/feeri…





The English version of the Paris tourism office website is really a shame, there is a fraction of the info. Are they only caring for tourists coming from France? - oh, and kickbacks, yeah. So stupid. It%26#39;s not like they don%26#39;t have the money.




|||



Tn,, I suggest you make a seperate thread on %26quot; Christmas Day,, what to do?%26quot;, you will get more replies. Do reserve for dinner now. I would set a budget and ask for recommendations within that limit. Like anywhere ,, Christmas dinners can be pricey.





I hope you have decided against London,, you really have no time for it.. 5 days is such a short visit( how do people do that,, I am jet lagged for first 3 days as it is.. LOL )




|||



Thanks I will create one for just that subject. We are heading over to London on the 26th, going to see Wicked so far but I am not going to try and cram alot into that portion of the trip. I just wanted my daughter to experience a train ride and the chunnel. Thanks a bunch

No comments:

Post a Comment